Brown Butter Sturgeon with Crispy Parma Ham, Pink Lady Puree, Grapefruit, New Potatoes, Shaved Fennel and Shallot
2 pink lady apples
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 slices Parma ham
200g new potatoes sliced
2 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
Small bulb fennel
1 lemon juiced
2 x 200g sturgeon steaks
400g slightly salted butter
1 pink grapefruit
Small bunch of dill picked
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil for drizzling
1. Cut the pink lady apples into chunks, then put in a small glass bowl and mix in the cider vinegar and sugar. Season with a little salt, then cover the bowl with cling film and cook in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the apples have turned translucent. Leave to cool slightly, then blend with a hand blender, then pass through a fine sieve into a small bowl.
2. Preheat your oven to 180c. Place the Parma ham on a small tray covered with baking parchment. Cook the Parma ham for 6 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, and then break into large pieces.
3. Cook the new potatoes, in a small pan with salted water for 15 minutes or until tender when poked with a small knife. Then drain and put into a small bowl and drizzle over the rapeseed oil, and season with a little pepper.
4. While you are waiting for the potatoes to be cooked, finely slice the fennel and shallot, place in a small bowl then mix in the lemon juice and a little salt.
5. Season the sturgeon steaks with salt and pepper.
6. In a medium shallow saucepan gently heat the butter until it melts, then turn up the heat until the butter starts to brown, then gently slide in the sturgeon steaks and turn down the heat to very low and cook the sturgeon for 6 to 8 minutes, or until just cooked.
7. While you are waiting for the sturgeon to cook, using a sharp knife remove the skin from the grapefruit, then cut out the segments.
8. Serve the sturgeon with the apple puree, potatoes, grapefruit segments, fennel and shallot, then garnish with the crispy Parma ham and picked dill, then drizzle with the extra virgin rapeseed oil and serve.
Click here to download this recipe